Hey Friends, How are you? ……. I thing you are fine and I wish you Always be Happy, Fine, Energetic. All of Your Dreams Come true and you achieve your goal.
If you have completed your 10th standard and going to choose Science Stream for 11th and 12th class. We will discuss about subject combination and if you have completed your 12th class with Science Stream and puzzle to take decision about your career, this article will guide a lot.
After Completion of class 10th the science stream has been a popular choice for the students, as it offers several exciting and lucrative opportunities to the students. It opens avenues for professional scientific courses at graduation and post-graduate level. As a science stream student, you will be involved in the systematic scientific study of natural occurrences through observation, theoretical study as well as application study and experimentation.
Science is a Vast Subject Stream & Cover Almost Anything & Everything –
As you know that science is a vast subject stream and it covers almost anything and everything that we can see, touch, hear, feel and even beyond that. Everything in the world, no not only the world, but the universe that we live in, falls under the ambit of science. However, during your 11th and 12th Class studies, you will be dealing with three main sub-streams of the subject, i.e., Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
In addition to this, you will also have Mathematics as one of the core subjects along with a compulsory language subject with computer technology taking the centre stage in the scientific study domains, you will also have the computer science as a foundation subject.
- Physics – Physics is a natural science under which you will study the matter and its motions, matter interacts with energy, forces, electricity, astronomy, motion, waves, sound, and light. It is the study of the universe that surrounds us and how it behaves. As part of the Physics subject, you will study the smallest elementary particles and atoms as well as the largest stars and the universe.
- Chemistry – Chemistry is again the study of matter and how it undergoes changes due to various processes. Under Chemistry, you will study the structure, composition, behaviour and properties of matter and how these properties change or can be changed through chemical reactions. The subject is closely related to Physics and will have many overlapping topics and concepts.
- Biology – Biology is the study of living organisms. Under Biology, you will be studying life and different living organisms. The subject will cover the origin, growth, structure, function, evolution and distribution of different life-forms on earth. There are three key sub-domains of Biology i.e.
- Zoology – This branch deals with the animal kingdom and studies their behaviour, structure and physiology.
- Botany – Botany is the scientific study of plants and everything associated with it.
- Microbiology – It is the branch of biology that deals with microorganisms. Under this domain, you will study microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
Subject Groups in Science Stream –
As part of the Science stream, the students are given the choice to opt for two subject combinations or choices.
- PCM – Physics + Chemistry + Mathematics
Also known as the Mathematics Group, the PCM is the subject combination that is ideal for students who want to pursue engineering education. Students who take this subject combination in Class 11 will have to study Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and allied disciplines as their key subjects along with one language.
- PCMB – Physics + Chemistry + Mathematics + Biology
The PCMB group is known as the Biology Group and is preferred by students who want to build their careers in medical or medicine domain. Students taking up this subject combination will have Physics, Chemistry Mathematics and Biology as their key subjects and other allied subjects such as microbiology and others. They will also have a compulsory language subject and computer science / IT as part of their curriculum.
Picking the right subject group for 11th and 12th Science stream –
Picking the right subject group for 11th and 12th Science stream students is very important. The subject group or the combination that you opt for will decide your future academic studies as well as the job and career prospects that lie ahead of you. Therefore, in order to pick the right subject combination you must consider the following factors:
- Your Interest: Students must consider their interest areas and the subjects that they like to study in the long run. If you are comfortable with physics, chemistry and mathematics as a subject stream and are interested in building a career in engineering; PCM will be the ideal subject group for you.
- Your Strengths & Weaknesses: In addition to their interest, students must also consider their strengths and weaknesses while choosing the subject.
For instance, picking PCMB because you are interested biology but haven’t done well in the chapters related to it during your Class 10; it might not be such a great idea. In Class 11 and 12 you will be faced with the detailed study of the subject and not having good command over the basics might cost you in future.
Scope of further studies in the Science Stream –
As far as study after high school or Class 11 and Class 12 is concerned, students from the science stream have a wide array of course options to consider and choose from. The biggest advantage that the science stream students have is that they also have the option to opt for non-science courses for their degree level programmes, which opens up several course options for them. So, let’s look at some key course options that science stream students have.
Engineering is probably the most popular career choice for students who pick science stream. Every year, almost 11 lakh science stream students appear for JEE engineering entrance exam, which clearly proves the importance and popularity of this option. After option for engineering, students have a chance to join premier technology schools in the country i.e. IITs. Apart from this, engineering itself has several specializations and sub-disciplines which students can opt for depending on their choice and preference. The top engineering specializations include:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
Bachelor’s Degree Courses for Mathematics Group Students
If engineering is not something that interests you, you can also go for a regular three-year bachelor degree programmes which are offered by a number of universities across the country. These courses are regular undergraduate courses in which you will have to pick a specialization subject. The course will primarily focus on theoretical aspects with practical training as well. Some popular bachelor level courses for Math group students are:
- B.Sc. IT
- B.Sc. Computer Science
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- B.Sc. Mathematics
- B.Sc. Physics
- B.Sc. Hotel Management
- B.Sc. Nautical Science
- B.Sc. Electronics
- B.Sc. Electronics and Communication
Medical or medicine is also a very important career option for science stream students. Students who opt for PCB / PCMB subject combination can opt for medical courses at the graduate and the post-graduate level. At the graduate level, students can opt for MBBS, which is the most popular medical course. Other than this, students can also opt for undergraduate medical courses like:
- BDS (Dental)
- BAMS (Ayurveda)
- BHMS (Homeopathy)
- B.Pharm (Pharmacy)
- BPT (Physiotherapy)
- BUMS (Unani Medicine)
- BASLP (Audiology and Speech-Language Therapy)
Bachelor’s Degree Courses for Medical Group Students –
Just like the Mathematics group students, even the students who pick Biology group and are not interested in taking up MBBS or medical specializations can opt for Bachelor degree level programmes. These programmes are available with an array of subject specialization that can help you explore the subject in detail. After the completion of the course, you can opt for further research or take up teaching. Some of the popular Bachelor’s Degree courses for medical group students are:
- B.Sc. Biochemistry
- B.Sc. Biology
- B.Sc. Environmental Science
- B.Sc. Biotechnology
- B.Sc. Nursing
- B.Sc. Occupational Therapy
- B.Sc. Physiotherapy
- B.Sc. Radiology
- B.Sc. Bioinformatics
- B.Sc. Anthropology
- B.Sc. Microbiology
- B.Sc. Zoology
- B.Sc. Forensic Science
- B.Sc. Agriculture
- B.Sc. Pathology
Business and management is another avenue that is a great academic and career opportunity for students who take up the science stream at the high school level. There are number of graduate-level business management courses on offer which include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)
- Bachelor of Business Management (BMM)
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM)
- Integrated BBA + MBA Programmes (5 years)
Non-Science Bachelor’s Degree Courses –
Science stream students have the option to opt for Bachelor’s degree courses in non-science subjects as well. This opens up several new avenues for the students as they can even target key professionals courses in humanities, commerce, law and other allied disciplines. The popular courses in this field include:
- B.Com (Statistics / Mathematics)
- B.S.W – Social Work
- Mass Communication & Journalism
- Animation & Multimedia
- Event Management
Law is another course option that is available to the science stream students after Class 12. Students from science stream can take up integrated courses at graduate level in this domain. The number of colleges offering integrated law courses is limited but students who get through them have excellent career opportunities in future. The popular course options in this domain include:
- B.Sc. + LL.B.
- B.Tech. + LL.B.
- B.Com. + LL.B.
- BBA + LL.B.
Career Scope for Science Stream Students
Science stream is the most popular and preferred career stream among the students after Class 10. The main reason behind the popularity of this stream is that it opens up several lucrative career opportunities for the students in the future. The career scope for students after picking the science stream for high school is quite vast, especially because, they can also opt for non-science subjects or domains such as business, journalism and others in the future as well.
For Mathematics Group Students –
Mathematics Group students have a big advantage when it comes to career opportunities. Depending upon the course they opt for, they can become engineers, scientists, lawyers, government employees, pilots, pharmacists, architects, lawyers, teachers, managers, designers, computer experts and many more.
For Biology Group Students –
The career scope for Biology group students is also equally lucrative with several career opportunities. The key among them are doctors, scientists, dentists, orthodontists, pharmacists, therapists, nurses and many others. They also have the option of picking non-science career options such as teaching, lawyer, designer, journalists, etc.
We hope this information is very informative for you help you to choose best career option for your best future. Here, we suggest you that pic-out 3 or 4 courses according to your interest from this article and search about them on Internet and consult with any expert also.