India Celebrated its 70th Republic Day on this 26 January 2019. On this Occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind Unfurled the Flag with 21 gun Shots in the Background. South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa, was the Chief Guest.
This is the second time, South African President is Chief Guest for Republic Day, In 1995 the late Nelson Mandela visited India as the Chief Guest.
On the 70th Republic Day, 26 January 2019, President Ram Nath Kovind approved the gallantry awards 1 Ashok Chakra, 2 Kirti Chakras, 9 Shaurya Chakras to the Army Personals.
Four Indian National Army (INA) veterans (Parmanand, Lalti Ram, Hira Singh and Bhagmal),all Aged above 90 took part in the Republic Day parade for the First time,under the theme ‘Veterans: Accelerators in Nation’s Growth’.
First time in history,‘Nari Shakti’ was displayed as the Assam Rifles tableau had all women contingent, led by Maj.Khushboo Kanwar, marched to the tune Assam Rifles kay Sipahi, Desh ki Humnay Shaan badhai.
Important Facts –
- Kasturi becomes first woman to lead a contingent of the India Army Service Corps.
- Shikha Surabhi from the Corps of Signals became the first woman to perform bike stunts, alongside her male teammates as part of daredevils.
- It was first time where IAF Flies Plane Using Blend Of Jet Fuel And Bio-fuel During Republic Day Parade.
- American howitzers M777, the Main Battle Tank (MBT) T-90 and indigenously developed Akash weapons system was displayed.
- Indian Railways presents Republic Day Tableau depicting the theme of “Mohan se Mahatma”.
- The CISF, is in the Republic Day parade after a gap of 11 years. (celebrating 50 years of service)
- CPWD has been participating in Republic Day and displayed flower tableaux under the theme “Dandi March” Movement with title “VANDE MATARAM”.
- President Ram Nath Kovind approved the gallantry awards 1 Ashok Chakra, 2 Kirti Chakras, 9 Shaurya Chakras to the Army Personals.
- Twenty-six children – six girls and 20 boys awardees of Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puruskar for their exceptional achievement also graced the occasion.
Click Below Links For Awards that are conferred by President:
- List of IAF Service and Gallantry Awards.
- 411 Gallantry and other Defence decorations to Armed Forces personnel were conferred.
- President of India has awarded President’s Tatrakshak Medal (PTM) and Tatrakshak Medal (TM) to Indian Coast Guard personnel.
- Vayu Sena Medal (gallantry) to Sergeant Amit Kumar Jha for his act of exceptional courage and bravery in the face the life threatening situation and saving the lives of 10 fishermen.
- Vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry) to Wing commander Bhavanendran Nair Prasanth.
‘Bharat Parv’ begins –
On 26th January 2019, 4th edition of 5 days (till 31st Jan) ‘Bharat Parv’ event showcasing the spirit of ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ was inaugurated in Red Fort, New Delhi.
- Statue of Unity was replicated in Bharat Parv.
- Paintings on the theme of ‘Ideology of Mahatma Gandhi’ are created.
- Republic Day parade tableaux, performances by the Armed Forces bands and photo exhibition are displayed.